Waterlow Park is a 26-acre park on a steep hillside in Highgate, North London, with spectacular views over the city. The land was the gift of Sir Sydney Waterlow as a ‘garden for the gardenless’ and the Park opened in 1891. The historic Lauderdale House and its gardens lie within the Park which is landscaped with ponds, a wide variety of trees, colourful borders and grassy slopes.
The nearest underground is Archway on the Northern Line [Barnet branch] and then a short [uphill] walk or take a bus 210, 271, W5 or 143.
The park is open from early morning to dusk and it is locked when dark. The opening times vary and are posted on the noticeboards by each of the seven gates to the park.
There are playgrounds for young and older children towards the southern end of the park and ponds through the middle. The café in Lauderdale House, run by Pink, is open everyday and the House hosts a variety of activities and events. There are public toilets in the Park Centre [see note to map for current arrangements].
Regular volunteer gardening sessions organised by the Friends, the restored kitchen garden and a community orchard offer opportunities for members of the public to get involved.
In 1992 The Friends of Waterlow Park group was formed to help Camden bid for Heritage Lottery Funds to restore what was then a rundown Victorian park. Your annual subscription as a Friend helps to keep Waterlow Park special.