Canons Park

Canons Park

1864 0 1 0 0

Local Authority

Local Council

Contact Info

Phone Number
+44 20 7495 1685

Location

Address
254 Whitchurch Lane
Postal Code
HA8 6QH
Local area
City
Main city or town, IE London

Parks OpenSpace

About Park Group
We are a local voluntary group, formed in May 2003 to support Harrow Council’s bid for Heritage Lottery funding to restore Canons Park to its former glory. The bid was successful and by 2007 the work was completed, creating better pathways, repairing park buildings of historic interest, planting and maintaining trees and shrubs and restoring the beautiful George V walled Memorial Garden at the heart of the park. As a result, Canons Park now feels much safer and there is so much more for visitors to do and see!
Nature & WellBeing
Park Facilities

Why do we call it historic Canons Park? Well, in the early 1700s, it was the centre of a grand country estate owned by the Duke of Chandos. His palace did not survive for long, but was rebuilt on a smaller scale in the 1750s and is now part of the North London Collegiate School. Some other remains from that time include the walled garden (now the George V Memorial Garden), the Temple, and the Bothy.

If you wish to find out more on the history of the area, click on A full history of Canons Park. We also have an interesting article on how the Duke of Chandos came by (and lost) his fortune in the first half of the 18th Century, written by a local resident.

Map

Swap Start/End